Sunday 12 July 2015

A moment in time

The wind is howling as I sip my coffee staring out towards the messy ocean. Its midday and I'm basking in the glorious winter sun. I should be somewhere else right now, but something brought me here to this headland, although I'm not sure what quite yet. Time passes and I grow restless. Finishing my coffee I stand up and stretch and suddenly feel an urge to dive into the sea but there are too many people here and I want to be somewhere isolated.

I jump in my car and head south, bound for somewhere, anywhere. A road appears to my left and instinctively I turn onto it, as if something higher is guiding me. It is windy and eventually becomes a dirt track. Up and down hills I travel until I eventually reach a carpark. I jump from the car and grab a mandarin and I see a small dam with a trail alongside it, so I sit there in the sun and watch ducks swim along the waters surface. Finishing my mandarin I head off on the trail with my bikini and towel, keen to hit the ocean.

As I emerge from the trail I notice the beach is deserted, not another soul in sight. The sand is warm and as I run to the sea I am laughing and smiling at the beauty and wonder of it all. I dive under the sea and white water rushes over my head, engulfing me. I emerge, all salty and sandy and skip towards my towel hidden under a pandanus tree full of fruit.

I reach for my towel.

I look up.

Its as if the world stops.

You are holding a baby duckling in your hands. You smile at me. Gentle kindness radiates from your being. You say hello and ask me how the water was. I'm not sure I can answer when I'm drowning in your beauty, but somehow I manage to smile back at you and say 'Beautiful'. We talk for what seems like hours, but of course I'm not checking the time, why would I want to, I want it to stand still and for this moment to last forever. You talk of so many things - the ocean, life, animals, waves, surfing and I notice you have the most perfect teeth. Your hair is long and wavy, and I just want to reach out and touch it. The baby duck sleeps in your cupped hands, warm against the chilly late afternoon onshore wind. So much time passes and the wind increases and makes me shiver, reminding me that I am not dreaming and that it is getting late. I tell you I have to go and you walk me to my car, talking and smiling the whole way. It's as if I have known you forever. You say goodbye and kiss me on the cheek, which feels as natural as the sun touching the earth first thing in the morning.

I drive away wondering if it was all but a dream.

And I know it wasn't.

Because I felt your heart & you felt mine.

It was a moment in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment