Thursday 9 July 2015

Nature smiles

It's a sunny morning as I drive along the highway. I know the wind is going to pick up and I hesitated slightly before taking off, enjoying the sun kissing my face as I sipped peppermint tea on the balcony earlier. But road trips are always beckoning my gypsy spirit and there's no way I can waste a day of sunshine inside so I'm here now humming along to Xavier Rudd gently playing on the stereo.

Pulling up into the carpark I stretch my legs and look at the ocean down below. Such beauty. Every time I set eyes on the sea I am enthralled beyond belief at what lays just below the surface. There's a whole other world under there.

I pick up my hat and hit the hiking trail, it says 4kms return. I've never walked this track before so I'm just letting myself be guided by the northerly wind that has by now picked up slightly.

Heading into a coastal paperbark forest I can see a river inlet down to my left and in the distance I can hear children splashing and playing, such joy to ones ears. I keep walking and their squeals of delight fade Into the distance. Approaching the first hill the ocean comes into view and the water is a murky brown colour, I'm slightly disappointed but I remind myself of the beauty of natures imperfections and I smile at this thought.

Walking for another few kilometres I savour the sunshine on my skin and wonder why I wore cowgirl boots as I clamber over exposed rocks with a sign above warning that the track beyond is for experienced bush walkers only. Damn boots! I quickly discard them and feel my feet connect with bare earth, such a delight!

Walking on the track narrows and goes slightly inland. Muddy sections squish between my toes and I smile at the sensation. Oh to be alive! But I really want to see the coast again.

As I round what feels like the millionth corner I suddenly stop. Right there in front of me is the most perfect scene I could have ever imagined. A tiny golden beach surrounded by pandanus trees perched on large boulders dropping into the sea. I gasp at the incredible beauty that I am beholding. There is not another soul around. Birds sing sweetly somewhere in the forest behind me. I feel completely at peace. There are absolutely no words to describe this magical place, it as if time has stood still.

I sit on a huge boulder for some time just staring out at the sea and the headlands beyond. Not thinking, not doing - just being.

I have no idea how much time has passed when I finally stand up and start walking again. The track continues to narrow and follows steeply the curves of the headland. A butterfly flutters by in front of me, dancing in the sunlight filtering through the trees. Again the track winds inland for some time before emerging to the most breathtaking set of headlands jutting out and dropping dramatically into the sea. Black rock against turquoise sea and feathering up into green hills of grass touched by winter sun. oh what a sight!

Heading further along the track I approach a lookout where I sit for some time feeling blessed and grateful all at once for this incredible connection with nature. And as a lone whale breaches out to sea I walk quietly back to my car, smiling and wondering if this was all but a dream ......





No comments:

Post a Comment