Tuesday 7 July 2015

Defining moments

Some moments define us. In a split second we can be changed, our perceptions of the world can change. Our eyes can be opened to beauty when we seek further than what we initially set out to seek.

Yesterday was one such day. With many of these moments.

As I pull into the carpark of my favourite surf spot I am disappointed to see the tiniest of waves peeling off the point, and by tiny I mean unrideable. I have just driven an hour or more. I'm a teeny bit bummed. After a quick coffee break I decide that adventure is calling and I jump back into my car and hit the dirt road southbound. With no way of knowing where I will end up I allow the universe to guide me. The hills are so green, and the yellow fireweed covers paddocks to my right as a crystal blue ocean strikes me as the most dazzling jewel I have ever seen to my left. Coffee cup is empty as I drain out the last of the bitter taste adjusting my sunnies against the morning glare. Somehow I feel that today will be exceptional, yet as I pull up into a dusty carpark I see cars for miles, but I just want to be alone, so again I turn around and hightail it back onto the road with dust in my rearview mirror.

Travelling further into the trees I am greeted by a light offshore wind & suddenly I am at a lookout and below me stretches a beach as far as the eye can see, with a little cove, and a little but perfect wave. I look up at the sky, stretch, smile and start to get my board off the roof. When I arrive down at the beach I realise the wave isn't as perfect as I initially thought so instead I grab my gopro and race to the sea, laughing and smiling at her beauty, realising that she, like humanity, is never always perfect, yet, in her imperfections, well, she is beautiful. Diving under the water I gasp at the crispness of the winter chill. Emerging up again I feel refreshed and free. I swim, I dive..... I feel free. Laying on the sand I sip peppermint and lemon tea from a 2nd hand thermos, its the colour of the sun and again I smile at the simple pleasures of being alive. The sun is beaming brightly at me and the warm rays touch my body like a lover long lost, spiralling me into a dreamy delirious state.

You see...... some moments define us. What may not seem perfect at first is always what you make it. There is no such thing as perfect. Nature reminds us that we are perfectly imperfect. But, no matter what, nature will always be perfect to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment